Congratulations to the Elected Board Members
The election for new members of the Board of Directors closed Friday evening and we have tallied the votes. Sean Caffrey and Vince Robbins, our two incumbents, won reelection and Michael Poynter will be our newest member on the Board of Directors. Congratulations!
IAEMSC and NEMSMA Recommend Consolidation to Their Respective Memberships
On Friday November 22, 2013 the Boards of Directors of the International Association of EMS Chiefs (IAEMSC) and the National EMS Management Association (NEMSMA) voted unanimously to proceed with creating a consolidation plan to merge the two EMS associations into a single new organization, representing the interests of EMS leaders across the United States. This plan will be presented to the memberships of both organizations.
Both IAEMSC and NEMSMA share similar missions, goals and objectives. The two associations share common interests and will bring complementary strengths to the national EMS community. Over the past several years, members of both associations have recognized these synergies and have informally discussed the benefits of uniting as a single organization. An ad hoc committee made up of representatives of both boards of directors met in Denver, Colorado November 15 &16, 2013 to formally discuss merging the two associations. The outcome of the meeting was a joint recommendation to the Boards that stated, “We believe integration of the two associations into a single organization will benefit the members of the associations, the greater community of EMS leaders, and the communities we serve. Therefore, we recommend IAEMSC and NEMSMA fully integrate the two current associations into a new single entity, respecting the legacies and histories of both predecessor associations.”NEMSMA- NEMSMA’s goals and objectives include:
IAEMSC- IAEMSC’s purposes include:
- EDUCATE current and prospective EMS leaders and managers in the best available leadership and management practices.
- ADVOCATE for high quality out-of-hospital care systems throughout the United States.
- LEAD the EMS community toward greater unity and improved effectiveness, by discovering, developing, researching and disseminating the best EMS leadership and management practices, regardless of EMS system model, organizational structure or agency affiliation.
- COLLABORATE with other organizations to advance the professionalism of EMS leadership, management, and administration.
- To provide leadership to career and volunteer chiefs, chief officers and managers of emergency medical service organizations throughout the international community through vision, information, education, services and representation to enhance their professionalism and capabilities.
- Networking with other EMS Chief officers from around the world providing opportunities to both acquire and share information.
- Promote the discipline of Emergency Medical Services as a viable and sustainable career opportunity for EMT’s and Paramedics.
- Mentoring of future Emergency Medical Services Chief Officers to develop an adequate pool of candidates in the discipline to support future leadership needs of the profession.
- Establish and maintain professional activities that are based upon validated outcomes to support the EMS discipline and its continued advancement – operational requirements, capacities & quality, core competencies for leadership and safety are all of critical importance.
- Assist in providing regional and national operations and educational programs for enhancing capabilities, capacities and competencies of EMS Chief Officers.
- Provide a sustained collective voice and representation for EMS Chief Officers to address EMS concerns before legislative bodies, regulatory agencies and the courts.
- Analyses of proposed legislation/regulations, and their impact on EMS agencies & operations.
NEMSMA Board Convenes for Strategic PlanningClick here to download and read the letter from Mike Touchstone, President-Elect & Vince Robbins, NEMSMA Secretary.
OFFICAL COMMENTS ON THE INNOVATION OPPORTUNITIES FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
Click here to download and read the position statement.
NEMSMA 2013 Membership Report
NEMSMA recently held its Annual Meeting at Pinnacle EMS Leadership Forum on Tuesday, August 6th, there were more than 80 people in attendance. If you were unable to attend, you can download the membership report here.