Click HERE to see a current list of requirements for each Paramedic Officer Certification level.
In order to become certified candidates must demonstrate through education, experience and examination that they meet the competencies for their Paramedic Officer level described in Seven Pillars or EMS Officer Competencies. Requirements vary by level but generally include:
-Current or previous certification or licensure as an EMS provider
- Proof of current or previous national certification by the National Registry of EMTs at the EMR, EMT, AEMT, Paramedic, or any predecessor levels is acceptable to meet this requirement.
- Proof of current of previous licensure as an EMS pratitioner, including Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD), by any state, territory or other jurisdictional EMS authority is also acceptable to meet this requirement.
- International certification or licensure will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
-Participation in qualifying education within the last 10 years
- Qualifying education consists of both accredited and general (approved) education in the areas of management and leadership that will be evaluated with each application. These requirements are evaluated based on the number of classroom hours attended and may include in-person courses, online coursework, conference sessions and other related delivery methods.
- The process to accredit education is currently in its ramp up phase with limited amounts of accredited coursework available. Requirements in this category will increase as more accredited coursework becomes available. Once fully implemented, this type of education will be required.
- Management and Leadership topics either EMS related or non-EMS related may qualify. Please submit appropriate documentation for review with the application.
- Education that does NOT qualify includes content that is exclusively clinical (i.e. ACLS, PHTLS, PEPP, etc.) or is introductory in nature (i.e. EVOC, ICS 100/200, Haz-Mat Awareness).
- College coursework may qualify provided the coursework is above or in addition to any degree requirements for certification. For example, graduate level coursework may be used if the certification requires an associates or bachelor’s degree. If courses within a degree are used as qualifying education the degree will no longer meet the requirement for a degree when degrees as required starting in 2020, e.g., you cannot use a degree to fulfill two prerequisites.
- See our list of pre-approved qualifying education HERE.
- Concurrent certification by another approved organization may also partially or completely satisfy this requirement.
-Documentation of relevant EMS experience
- The Supervising Paramedic Officer credential requires two years of experience as documented by a resume and/or verification letter from an EMS agency.
- The Managing Paramedic Officer and Fellow credentials require an increasing amount of experience in a supervisory or management role within an EMS agency as documented by a resume and/or verification letter.
- Provision of professional letters of reference,
- Professional letters of reference are required at all levels. Letters from both within and external to your current organization are strongly encouraged.
- Letters may be in any format, can be uploaded in the electronic application and should be addressed to:
American College of Paramedic Executives
Platte City, MO 64079
-Payment of the certification fee
- Payment of the applicable certification fee is due at the time of application. Discounts are available for NEMSMA members at the Supervising and Managing Paramedic Officer levels. Individual NEMSMA membership is required at the Fellow Level.
-Successful completion of examination requirements
- Application review may take up to 60 days and reviewers may request additional documentation to ensure requirements have been met. Once your application is approved you be eligible to register for any upcoming exam. A list of current exam sites can be found HERE.
- Written exams are administered via an online testing system and include both general knowledge and scenario based questions in a multiple-choice format.
- Oral examination for the Managing Paramedic Officer and Fellow levels will be administered by a panel of examiners.
- Presentation, portfolio or publication requirements for the Fellow Examination are currently under development.
-College Degree Requirements
- Completion of the applicable college degree requirements is strongly encouraged, however considering that many successful EMS leaders have achieved their positions through a variety of paths, these requirements are waived until January 1, 2020.